OSMC's August update is here. We hope you're having a great Summer holiday and we released this update to make sure your OSMC viewing experience remains in tip-top shape. We will soon be working on Kodi Krypton builds for all platforms now that Team Kodi have announced the first beta.
Over the past few months we have been working on some improvements to our build system. This month we transitioned over to some new build infrastructure, as the old infrastructure had been in place since 2013 (Raspbmc era). This infrastructure was used to deliver this update and with the new hardware and improved build system we should be able to make improvements and changes to OSMC at a faster pace.
This update comes in lighter than usual due to the holidays, with many developers travelling or taking some much needed time off. Here's what's new:
- Fix an issue for Realtek 8812AU based WiFi dongles which could prevent a user from successfully connecting to a 5Ghz wireless access point.
- Fix an issue preventing XPad based controllers working with Retrosmc.
- Fix an issue which could cause GPU memory settings on Raspberry Pi to be modified to an unsuitable value when opening My OSMC -> Pi Config.
- Fixed playback issues with some clips on Vero 2
- Fix a bug where shutting down the system caused it to reboot on Vero 2
- Fix a memory leak in Kodi by ensuring textures are freed when playing video.
- Fix an issue where a visual artefact may appear on Onkyo 609 receivers on Raspberry Pi
Improving the user experience
- Improved playback performance when playing videos using software decoding
- Added support for EM28xx based DVB devices
- Android dual-boot is now available for Vero 2, and the ability to switch between OSMC and Android has been added to Kodi.
- Added a sixty second warning to the OSMC installer for Vero 2 so that users do not accidentally erase their existing OSMC installation by accident.
- Allow volume controls to be used when listening to music without interrupting the screensaver
- Added support for CEC builtins to Kodi so that add-ons can use and query CEC capabilities
- Add support to configure repeat button settings via CEC on Vero 2
- Improved playback performance on Vero 2
- Added support for a wider variety of Raspberry Pi DAC audio boards
- Add support for add-ons to use their own fonts, independent of whether the current skin includes them or not.
- Updated NOOBS images to the latest version of OSMC
- Build system improvements
To get the latest and greatest version of OSMC, simply head to My OSMC -> Updater and check for updates manually on your exising OSMC set up. Of course — if you have updates scheduled automatically you should receive an update notification shortly.
You may also wish to check out our store, which offers a wide variety of high quality products which will help you get the best of OSMC. We are having an end of Summer sale over the Bank Holiday, so don't miss out!